Monday, February 4, 2008

More Shopping/ The Emerald Farmer's Market

Nothing could be more convenient than a Farmer's Market rolled out in your clubhouse every Thursday. I have adopted another mother, Jen's tradition of stopping by with the kids on the way to school and letting them get fresh pastries for breakfast and school snack, and then returning without them to do some shopping. (Fresh pastries are harder to get here, so it's a treat!) I'm told this as as safe a place as any in China in which to buy meat (local), seafood (imported and frozen), baked goods, produce, flowers, and gourmet items like pesto, grape leaves, baba ghanoush, and organic yogurt. Since you probably cannot imagine what a farmer's market in the clubhouse looks like, here are some photos.

This is the vegetable stand in front of the trophy case.


This is the meat woman who was very excited to learn that I was from Hollywood. She wanted to know what stars I had seen. I figured it was good to be friendly with her because relationships are very important to the Chinese people and thus I won't end up with civet filets. By the way, I've had her lamb and roast beef and it was very good.

This is the Israeli baker who sells everything from bagels to croissants to baba ghanoush and cream cheese (thank God!). He is holding my challah. Since we are now the second family at the Emerald buying challahs regularly he will know to bring more from now on.

No comments: